November 21st, 2016
Electrical stimulation (97014) will affect the body in many ways including:
- stimulating muscles to contract
- stimulating nerves to decrease pain
- increasing blood flow to speed healing and reduce inflammation.
Some of the following might be diagnoses that justify this service: ·
- Spinal pain** (M54.2, M54.5, M54.6)
- Myalgia (M79.1)
- Muscle spasms (M62.83-)
- Inability to contract muscles, weakness or denervation (M62.81)
- Poor muscle coordination
- Peripheral edema** (R60.0)
- Inflammation (M60.88)
Some payers consider the use of e-stim for pain or edema investigational, so check with guidelines before billing for this service.