by Raquel Shumway
March 27th, 2018
According to the MLN Home Oxygen Therapy Booklet (see reference below), A Face-to-Face Encounter is required by the Affordable Care Act and must be performed by one of the following:
- A physician (medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or doctor of podiatric medicine)
- A nurse practitioner (NP)
- A clinical nurse specialist (CNS)
- A physician assistant (PA).
Face-to-Face Requirements are as follows:
- Must be performed in person by the treating physician
- Must be done on or before the date of the Written Order (Prescription) Prior to Delivery (WOPD)
- Must be done within 6 months prior to date of WOPD
- Documentation showing the patient was evaluated and/or treated for a condition supporting the need for the DME items.
A new face-to-face is required any time a new prescription is ordered.
There are several forms and additional requirements necessary for home oxygen therapy. Please see our article Home Oxygen Therapy for more information and links to those requirements.