A summary of the modifications to the ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting are included below. The complete guidelines may be downloaded by visiting http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm.htm
The modifications are published below using the following format:
Narrative changes appear in bold text (e.g., severe sepsis).
Items underlined were moved within the guidelines since October 1, 2019 (e.g., severe sepsis).
Deletions are shown as strikeouts (e.g., severe sepsis).
Please note the term “physician” has been revised to “provider” in the following sections of the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting:
- Section I. Conventions, General Coding Guidelines and Chapter Specific Guidelines
- Chapter 1: Certain Infectious and Parasitic Diseases
- Chapter 17: Congenital malformations, deformations, and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)
- Section IV. Diagnostic Coding and Reporting Guidelines for Outpatient Services.
Section I. Conventions, general coding guidelines and chapter specific guidelines . . .
A. Conventions for the ICD-10-CM . . .
C. Chapter Specific Coding Guidelines . . .
1. Chapter 1: Certain Infectious and Parasitic Diseases. . .
d. Sepsis, Severe Sepsis, and Septic Shock
4) Sepsis and or severe sepsis with a localized infection.
f. Zika virus infections . . .
l. Sequencing of neoplasm codes . . .
e. Acute myocardial infarction (AMI) . . .
a. Pressure ulcer stage codes
n. Normal Delivery, Code O80
q. Termination of Pregnancy and Spontaneous abortions
b. Coding of Injuries . . .
c. Coding of Traumatic Fractures . . .
e. Adverse Effects, Poisoning, Underdosing and Toxic Effects . . .
g. Complications of care
c. Categories of Z Codes . . .
3) Status . . .
Note: Code Z71.84, Encounter for health counseling related to travel, is to be used for health risk and safety counseling for future travel purposes.
Section II. Selection of Principal Diagnosis . . .
Section III. Reporting Additional Diagnoses . . .
Section IV. Diagnostic Coding and Reporting Guidelines for Outpatient Services . . .