tci Part B Insider - 2009 Issue 10

READER QUESTION: Know How to Report Hospital Discharge After Consultation

Tip: Differentiate attending doc from referring. Question: A family practice physician admitted a patient for treatment of severe abdominal pain, and then consulted with my surgeon, who followed the patient through the episode of care. Both physicians want to report the hospital discharge. Can they split the discharge billing? If not, who should report it? Answer: It sounds as if the family practice physician is the admitting "attending" physician. There-fore, the attending physician is the physician who reports the discharge code (99238-99239, Hospital discharge day management ...). According to CPT, under instructions for Hospital Discharge Services, "To report concurrent...

To read the full article, sign in and subscribe to tci Part B Insider.

Keep pace with evolving Medicare regulations with timely analysis of critical updates interpreted in an easy-to-follow, easy-to-apply format. Your subscription to TCI’s Part B Insider will equip you to navigate code and guideline changes, CCI edits, and revisions to modifiers, the fee schedule, OIG target areas, and more.

  • Current newsletters added each month
  • Fully searchable archives - over 4800 articles
  • ALL years/issues back to 2003 organized by year and issue
  • Codes mentioned in articles are linked to Code Information pages
  • Code Information pages link back to related articles
Access to this feature is available in the following products:
  • tci Part B Insider +Archives

free demo
request yours today
for any budget
sign IN
welcome back!