tci General Surgery Coding Alert - 2002 Issue 11

READER QUESTION: Billing for RNFA Surgical Assist

Question: Our office employs a RN who assists our surgeon with surgical procedures. She has just completed her RNFA certification. How should we report her services? Arizona SubscriberAnswer: The answer depends on the insurer, but in most cases you cannot bill. A registered nurse/first assistant (RNFA) is a registered nurse (RN) who has undergone additional training, available through the National Surgical Assistant Association, to serve as a surgical first assistant. Medicare and most public aid programs will not pay for an RNFA. And an RNFA is not licensed to practice medicine and may not perform any services independent of...

To read the full article, sign in and subscribe to tci General Surgery Coding Alert.

Leverage vital, to-the-point monthly guidance to boost your reporting accuracy and your coding know-how. We make it convenient for your team to stay informed, compliant, and profitable with a subscription to TCI’s General Surgery Coding Alert.

  • Current newsletters added each month
  • Fully searchable archives - over 2100 articles
  • ALL years/issues back to 1999 organized by year and issue
  • Codes mentioned in articles are linked to Code Information pages
  • Code Information pages link back to related articles
Access to this feature is available in the following products:
  • tci General Surgery Coding Alert +Archives

free demo
request yours today
for any budget
sign IN
welcome back!